Commercial Boilers

Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Department Frequent Questions 

What is the permit process for installing a boiler of pressure vessel?

An “Advance Notice of Boiler Installation” is required to be filled out and sent to us a minimum of 10 days prior to the installation being performed. 

How do I know what the Iowa Code and Administrative rules require? 

The current adopted Iowa Code and Administrative Rules (Chapters 89-96) can be found on the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety website. 

Can I pay my certificate or inspection fee with a credit card over the phone or online?

No, all payments must either be mailed or delivered to the address on the invoice. 

Do I need to have a boiler operating certification or license to operate the objects I have? 

No, a certification or license is not required from the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety department. 

It is highly advised that you contact any local municipalities and see if they have such requirements. 

I don’t have my current operating certificate, how can I get a duplicate? 

Please give us a call so we can add you to the “Owner’s Portal”.  This will give you access to all of the information for the objects at your location and you will be able to print a duplicate operating certificate any time the need arises. 

How do I know if the boiler or pressure vessel I have needs to be registered with your department? 

The information to determine this is one our website and in the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.  However, it is advisable to give us a call to review the object in question and the location it will be or where it is installed to get you the best possible answer. 

I have an inspection that is due at the end of the month, can I have it performed before its due date? 

Yes, any inspection may be performed up to 60 days prior to its due date. 

Can I have an extension to my operating certificate or inspection schedule? 

No, extensions are not granted to any operating certificate or inspection schedule dates. 

What documentation should I have for my boilers or pressure vessels? 


  • A CSD-1 report for all boilers with a heat input under 12.5 million BTU’s (3,663kW). 
  • The current operating certificate. 
  • A maintenance log showing the daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly verifications that are being performed. 

  • An owner’s manual for the object. 
  • The object’s Manufacturers Data Report. 
  • A copy of the advance notice of installation form. 
  • Past inspection reports. 

I have a boiler or pressure vessel that I’m not using, do I need to have it inspected? 

Yes, the object is still required to be inspected if it is connected to its services and able to be used.