Contractor Registration

The State of Iowa requires that “Construction Contractors” register with the Iowa Division of Labor and renew registration annually.  More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.

Check to see if a contractor is currently registered with the Iowa Division of Labor.

Iowa law requires all individual contractors and businesses performing “construction” work within Iowa to be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor, if they earn at least $2,000.00 a year from that work. Individuals or businesses making less than $2,000.00 a year on “construction” work, or who work only on their own real estate or property, are not required to register.

Registering with the Iowa Division of Labor

Print and complete the New Application/Renewal Form. The form cannot be completed without an Iowa Unemployment Insurance account number and appropriate federal identification or social security numbers.  Mail the completed form with all required attachments to the Iowa Division of Labor - Contractor Registration.  If the application is complete, processing may take up to 30 days.

Plumbing, HVAC/R, Hydronics, and Mechanical Professionals

If your business provides any type of plumbing, mechanical, HVAC, refrigeration, sheet metal or hydronic systems services, you are required to obtain a license with the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board.  Visit the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board website or call 866-280-1521 to complete a joint application for a 3-year registration and contractor license.  Do not complete an online application and payment with Contractor Registration.

Fee Exemption

While all contractors must register, some contractors register without paying the $50.00 fee.  A self-employed contractor who does not pay more than $2,000.00 annually to employ other people in the business, and who does not work with or for other contractors in the same phase of construction at a job site, qualifies to register at no charge.  If you meet the conditions, complete the Fee Exemption Form, have it notarized, and send it  instead of payment with the registration application.

Registering an Out-of-State Business

If a contractor's principal place of business is located outside of Iowa, the contractor must file a $25,000.00 surety bond to register as well as fill out an Out-of-State Contractor Bond Form. The contractor must file a bond with original signatures and original surety company seal when applying for the construction contractor registration number.  The contractors bond must be executed by a surety company licensed to do business in Iowa, and it must be issued on the bond form provided by the Iowa Division of Labor.  Having a branch office in Iowa does not necessarily qualify as an in-state contractor if the contractor's business is primarily based outside of Iowa.

Public Portal

If you would like to complete your contractor registration application and pay online, visit the Contractor Registration Public Portal.  Credit card or ACH payments will not be accepted over the phone.

Service Fee

There will be a 3% service fee added to your total purchase amount or a 30 cent service fee added to your ACH (checking account) payment.

Quick Links

Contractor Registration Application/Renewal Form
Required Attachments
Fee Exemption Form
Out-of-State Contractor Bond Form
Bond Requirements
Database of Iowa's Current Contractor Registrations
Definition of Construction
Contractor Registration Questions and Answers
Iowa Code and Administrative Rules
License Requirements in Iowa
Important Construction Reminders
The Davis-Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA)
Report of Construction Contractor's Wage Rates (WD-10) Form
PDF and Webpage Issues
Contact Contractor Registration