Wage & Hour
The Iowa Division of Labor enforces Iowa wage law, including the Iowa minimum wage. If you have not been paid what you are owed you may file a wage claim. One of the most common reasons for underpayment is illegal deductions. You may also be owed unpaid vacation, unreimbursed employee expenses or unpaid commissions.
The Iowa Division of Labor only accepts claims for wages when the following applies:
- Less than one year (365 days) since the wages were due.
- The amount owed must be less than $6,500.00.
- The work was performed in the State of Iowa.
Steps in the Wage Claims Process
- Open and review the Claim for Wages form in English or Spanish. Either type in the required information or print the form and legibly fill out. You may attach other documents including pay stubs, time sheets, or more explanation of why or how you were underpaid.
- Sign the Claim for Wages form and return to the Iowa Division of Labor.
- The Iowa Division of Labor will review your wage claim and assign a docket number.
- The Iowa Division of Labor will send a letter to the employer with your name, the reason for your claim, and the amount you claimed, along with an Employer’s Wage Claim Response Form.
- You may be asked to complete a time sheet form or provide more information.
- There may be additional requests for information from either you or the employer.
- The Iowa Division of Labor will decide if your claim is enforceable. If it is, we will take steps to collect your wages, including a lawsuit if needed. Otherwise, the Division of Labor will notify you that your file is being closed.
After Claim Submission
After a wage claim is submitted, it will be reviewed then the employer will be contacted. The claim will be further investigated and collect due wages by voluntary payment, if possible. If that is not possible, the matter may proceed to small claims court where there may be additional recovery of liquidated damages and attorney fees.
You have the option to contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Office, which enforces overtime law.
Learn more about common Wage & Hour related questions (FAQ).
Hours of Operation
8:00am to 4:30pm • Monday - Friday
You may schedule an appointment during regular business hours.
Division of Labor
Wage & Hour
150 Des Moines Street
Des Moines IA, 50309-1836