Abatement dates are established on the basis of the information available at the time the citation is issued. An employer that is prevented by uncontrollable events or circumstances from meeting an abatement date may submit a Petition for Modification of Abatement Date (PMA).
Complete the petition for modification of abatement date form and submit as soon as possible, but no later than 1 working day after the abatement date. To show clearly that you have made a good faith effort to comply, the PMA must include all of the following information before OSHA considers it:
- Steps you have taken to achieve compliance and dates they were taken;
- Additional time you need to comply;
- Why you need the additional time;
- Interim steps you are taking to safeguard your employees against the cited hazards until the abatement;
- A certification that the petition has been posted, the date of posting and when appropriate a statement that the petition has been furnished to an authorized representative of the affected employees The petition must remain posted for 10 working days, during which employees may file an objection.
Forward the completed form to Iowa OSHA.